Burton Lazars is situated approximately 1.5 miles south east of Melton Mowbray in the heart of rural east Leicestershire. Part straddles the main Melton Mowbray- Oakham Road, but much of the village is tucked away on either side with a peaceful and relaxed feel about it.
It has a population of around 400 and, with a hilltop position, commands magnificent views in all directions
It has a long history. The name 'Burton' originates from Saxon times. It was known as Burton Sancti Lazari after Lord Mowbray's foundation of a Leper hospital (in circa 1160). Building foundations remain of the medieval Lazar house, which was the headquarters for the Crusading Order of St Lazarus in England. Heritage Warden research is being carried out on the Village for more details click here
In the 1930's the village boasted a racecourse, with the then Prince of Wales, later King Edward V111, a regular visitor.
The Village has a very active Village Hall with numerous activities and functions taking place on a daily basis.
The local church is St James' part of the Team Ministry, centred on St Mary's in Melton Mowbray.